winnie

Monday, June 30, 2008


my girl Winnie

Do you notice that most of the pictures of Miss Winnie Dixon she's almost always looking away. Most often she appears to be looking off in the distance to some far away thought. I think it's her submissive and insecure nature - no eye contact, especially when that thing (my camera) is being pointed at her. Her personality is much like her mama's - fretting and worried, always just slightly on edge. She and I are two peas in a pod. It's interesting when you compare her photos to the many photos of my boy Jake, who upon saying his name would most often look right at me, directly in the eye. Confident and cocky, curious and sweet, always happy and totally carefree with a big ol' dash of a dog who adores his mama thrown in - he was the joy that lived in this house.

That's what I was thinking as I scuffed down the stairs this morning at 5am to pour my first cup of coffee. When we said goodbye to Jake we said goodbye to our joy. And I know in my heart that it will come back one day ... but as of yet ... there's still no sign of it.

Miss him.

8 comments:

  1. I love the last shot of your dear Winnie - what is she yearning for? My dogs, two dear Labbies, always jump around and start pushing each other out of the way when I get the camera out! How incredible it is to blog and to find someone in Nova Scotia! I live in South Africa just on the other side of the world. Really enjoyed finding you! Eleanor at Thatchwick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Winn Dixie does have a lovely profile. I do know this much...joy will return to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary d is right. Joy will return. Keep your eyes opened so you recognize it. Sometimes it's a simple little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have those little joys, Winn & I, the happy tiny and often simple moments in daily life ... and I do hope that those little joys come across in this blog.

    I guess I'm talking about a really big joy, a joy that used to live here. Perfect, ongoing and larger than life, always trying to make us smile ... and always succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely, faraway look she has. I can understand what you miss about Jake, I miss that myself. I wish for you what I wish for myself, that healing continues and things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Losing a dog is the worst pain imaginable. I am glad you have Winnie. She has a most souful face and I know she is a joy to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pamela & Edward, Thanks for stopping by and oh yes Miss Dixon is a joy ... in her own way but he was like "our" pack leader. He made us feel silly and happy. We both had a much lighter step when he was with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWww, Winnie is a pensive one! And I quite agree with Mary. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.