tiny moths

Monday, August 10, 2009




a potted geranium on our front porch - the kingdom of the Nessyness

It's raining gently this early morning, the air is noticeably cooler - it's beginning to feel like Autumn, like bittersweet. A little later I'll be off, around the corner and just up the street to the tiny gift and home decor store for a day long shift. Miss D will begrudgingly stay home to keep an eye on les Chats. The Kitten Police. And she will greet me when I come home as if I've been away for days with spins and twirls, shut ups ! and mad sweet kisses.

We have been visited lately, inside this old brick house, by a great multitude of tiny moths. So tiny they're nearly impossible to see or at least for the lazy untrained human eye to see but not at all difficult for the wild cats, the tag team hunters - those darn kittens, to see. Oh ! the bouncing and somersaults, the chasing and jumping, the death defying stunts, the slow creeping along the floor as flat and as invisible as can be - the gesticulating and enormously high leaping as if off a giant trampoline as their Mama, kill joy that she is, rushes around behind them drinking glass and postcard (favourite insect capturing devices) in hand desperately attempting to retrieve the tiny moth before it becomes mortally wounded - to set it free on the front porch where it will stay, prone for a moment on the weathered wood, rattled, relieved and catching it's breath and the big fat black velvet chiclet will look down at it as if to say - hmmm yes, it is indeed a tiny moth and then resume his staring off into the unknown distance, as Chiclets are want to do.

Off to walk with my rain slicker, rubber boots and my best girl Missy D.










15 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures - what colour! But are there moths in them? Maybe I need to wear glasses.

    Just visiting from Slow Lane Life. Sorry that you are (were?) feeling unsettled. I'm not good at being brave and decisive myself. Hope things are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous flowers. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan; patron saint of moths and other small creatures.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello Isabelle and thanks for stopping by - this tiny moth post was very much inspired by the open windowed, fly catching antics and goings-on over at Slow Lane Life - and a note - the photos and text on this blog most often are completely unrelated. I think of this place as a primarily visual journal, a place to put my photos but I do ramble on a bit as well each early morning - a stream of 5 something am consciousness.

    And Georgie my camera is an old (8 years) Olympus C-5050 but I think the secret of my tres "not" technical success is NO flash ever and super macro or very, very shallow depth of field. I love my super macro !! oh and I don't look through the view finder I often just hold the camera any old which way.

    and :) to Veronica in far away lands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geraniums! Lovely. They always remind me of the Mediterranean. Popped into old used olive oil cans, terracotta pots, sitting on window sills, steps and patios. Sometimes in a garden:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear - maybe it's just me, Susan, but lots of tiny moths in the house would have me scuttling to wherever my woollens, blankets, rugs are stored and looking very very closely........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, this did cross my mind - but thankfully I have no valuable woolens, no rugs, no blankets, no itchy wool sweaters. I am a cotton & fleece (which I believe is made from old pop bottles) girl. Phew ! and thanks for the tiny moth heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous pictures!!!!! Love those geraniums!!!!!! Makes me want to put some out on my patio for the rest of the summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan! Lovely geraniums! Such a happy flower - and so much color from each bloom. Mine are even living, which is a testimony to their hardiness. LOL! Have a great day, my friend! xo Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, I so enjoy your photos...thanks for sharing your trade secrets. Have you ever thought of opening 29 as a Bed and Breakfast? What fun it would be to see all the photos come to life! Even the tiny moths! Hope you have lovely day.
    Cheers!
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had some of those tiny moths a year ago. They did a not-so-charming little number on my two favorite wool turtlenecks. I was not amused.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the peachy, pinkish geraniums!! the photos are so wonderful!

    the moths sound interesting. i'm wondering how small is small. are they white? we used to have small white moths in indiana and they left a bit of milky white fluff almost like pollen on you if you touched them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. surely the rain renders the red geranium more brilliant. or is it your artists eye that show its glory? either way a visual feast. the kind ihave missed so much. your kind words were greatly appreciated. all my own chicklets send warm regards. trout too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did so enjoy your comment on Willow's last post, btw. And, don't forget good old jammie (moi) is elsewhere now!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.