joy & delight

Thursday, May 20, 2010





more marvels of nature - the common dandelion

Passion,

it lies in all of us. sleeping ... waiting ... and though unwanted ... unbidden ...
it will stir ... open it's jaws and howl. It speaks to us ... guides us ...
passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have ?
Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love ... the clarity of hatred ...
and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear.
If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace ...
but we would be hollow ...
Empty rooms shuttered and dank.
Without passion we'd be truly dead.


Joss Whedon

I think for years I've been very afraid of my own passion. I saw it as something wild and unruly. A thing to be tamed or smothered. A sign that something was surely wrong with me. My heart would beat rapidly, my breath would become shallow, the tears would fall ... oh so many tears fell and I would most often feel shame. Crazy as that now seems. I'm beginning, finally, to embrace it's intensity. To appreciate and be thankful for it's many gifts and to welcome with wide open arms it's variety of complex characters.

Sadness & Ache, Joy & Delight ... sometimes arrive all together and holding hands.

9 comments:

  1. good for you, susan! i think being alone does that to us and then when we let go of the fear and let ourselves love and be loved, it's like we see the world thru a different set of eyes.

    adore the dandelion shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how beautiful a dandelion can be....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful shots.

    (I made the chili powder/brown sugar thing with tilapia and it was amazing!! Skipped the oven part, since the fillets are so thin. Man, they were the yummiest!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I'm always drawn to your quotes and poems, and this one is especially apropos. Thanks so much.

    Your photos are luminous as well - always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exquisite dandelion pictures, beautifully captured and lit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever seen pictures which 'catch' an atmosphere and moment as much as yours!

    On another note, I hope you embrace and follow your passion - that's what we're here for (I hope!)
    Best wishes
    Dan
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I want to leave Texas now and see your psrt of the world!

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.