perception + interpretation

Monday, July 11, 2011







double mock orange, the most fragrant flower in the terracotta gardens here at 29 Black Street

The quicker you are in attaching verbal or mental labels to things, people, or situations, the
more shallow and lifeless your reality becomes, and the more deadened you become to reality, the miracle of life that continually unfolds within and around you. In this way, cleverness may be gained, but wisdom is lost, and so are joy, love, creativity and aliveness. They are concealed in the still gap between perception and the interpretation. Of course we have to use words and thoughts. They have their own beauty–but do we need to become imprisoned in them ?


Eckhart Tolle - A New Earth - Chapter 2

perception + interpretation gets me every time. I'm always convinced they are the same thing.
And that that same thing is real ... it's my reality. Hey There Eckhart quit blowin' my mind

I'm rereading The New Earth - a first book choice in a brand new 2 person book club with a new friend - we'll meet every 2 weeks at the local cafe to chat & be inspired to try and help push each other forward - out, nearer to the edge of our latest cliffs. She's like me that way, she always has some new cliff on her horizon. A new earth, a new book club, a new friend - New seems to be showing up daily in my life lately & that's good. I think I like new ... but don't tell anyone ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, shadow and light. Two person book clubs are a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sister;

    is photo #1 just begging to be turned into a book cover, or what?

    i really liked the old sue, but i really REALLY like the new sue.

    happy re-naissance! - n

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Tolle quote has a lot of meaning for me today, so thank you for posting it. I have mock orange at home and at work and have pointed it out to several people this season, coaxed them to stick their face in it and breathe. Terrible that some people are unaware of it. Like you I bring branches of it into the house. Intoxicating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. intoxicating it is John - that's the perfect word.

    This morning I considered writing almost "too" fragrant but caught myself ... because there surely cannot be such a thing as too fragrant - as you know one small branch will scent an entire room in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to grow me some of these...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful photos in this, and the previous post Susan.I love the heady scent of orange,gardenia, jonquils and hyacinths. I can imagine the wonderful intensity of your mock orange...and belated happy birthday wishes to you!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are the whitest whites! lovely photographs made more so by the dark backgrounds. I like ET - ive read a new earth -im sure im due for a re-read. but I think ive defintely gotten the part about living in the moment fully. new is good. so is old. isnt that what ET would say?

    ReplyDelete

Hey ! We LOVE comments here at 29 Black Street.
Thanks for stopping by.